AS SNOW FALLS CHECK CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS
WOODSTOCK – Today, Ernie Hardeman, Oxford MPP, reminded everyone that as the snow piles up it is important to protect your family against carbon monoxide poisoning.
“As we experience a record snow fall I want to remind everyone to be safe – on the roads and at home,” said Hardeman “Please take a few minutes to ensure vents and chimneys aren’t blocked by snow and that your carbon monoxide detector is working.”
In 2008 our community suffered a tragedy when Laurie (nee Gignac) and Richard Hawkins and their children were poisoned by carbon monoxide when a blocked fireplace exhaust filled their home with the poisonous gas. Carbon monoxide gas is odourless, colourless and has no taste making it impossible to detect without a carbon monoxide alarm.
Hardeman recently committed to reintroduce his private members’ bill named after the Hawkins-Gignac family which would require functioning carbon monoxide alarms in all homes.
“As always I encourage people not to wait for legislation before protecting their family by installing a carbon monoxide detector,” said Hardeman. “And please remember that with the heavy and drifting snow it is important to check that exhaust vents are clear.”
– 30 –
For more information, contact:
Ernie Hardeman, MPP Oxford