Land sale of Discovery Farm Woodstock, home of Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show finalized
Ontario Ensures Long-Term Investment in Agriculture
WOODSTOCK – Ontario is accelerating innovation in the agriculture sector with the completion of the sale of a portion of the Woodstock Agricultural Research Station, home of Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show (COFS).
Glacier FarmMedia, parent company of Discovery Farm and COFS, acquired 100 acres of land (the site of COFS) for $3.5 million, ensuring the long-term future of the show at this site. The sale includes a provision for Glacier FarmMedia to build a new agri-food research facility on the grounds and maintains an important venue for applied technology sharing and access to the latest products and services available to producers from Ontario’s agri-business sector.
“Ensuring that farmers will continue to have a place to learn about cutting-edge research and innovative solutions at the new Discovery Farm Woodstock is key to maintaining knowledge-transfer at the grassroots level,” said Ernie Hardeman, MPP for Oxford. “The sale of this property reinforces Ontario’s commitment to accelerating our agriculture sector through innovation, research and the adoption of new practices and technologies.”
In 2020, when the land sale was reported, Glacier FarmMedia announced the launch of Discovery Farm Woodstock. Discovery Farm Woodstock will showcase farmer-led and industry-partnered research that will help farmers succeed in their production operations. Site plans include:
- To be a year-round meeting place for farmers and industry for research and knowledge transfer.
- Growing Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show, enhancing partnerships and developing a world class site for the transfer of agricultural knowledge and research.
- Discovery Farm Woodstock will also lease 145 acres of the Woodstock Research Station from the Agricultural Research Institute of Ontario (AIRO) in 2022 to grow research and demonstration potential
“This is a ground-breaking moment for Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show as we now have a permanent home at this hub of learning and demonstration that is Discovery Farm Woodstock,” said Doug Wagner, President of Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show. “We’re thankful to Ernie Hardeman for his efforts to make this a reality during his time as Ontario Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, as well as to Minister Lisa Thompson for her continued support.”
Research, innovation and technology transfer are key to the growth of the agri-food sector, support rural economic development and help strengthen Ontario’s competitive edge.
- Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show (COFS Property Limited Partnership) is a subsidiary of Glacier FarmMedia.
- Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show is an annual event celebrating over 25 years of unique programming that advances agriculture in Ontario.
- Previously, Glacier FarmMedia leased Section 1 of the Woodstock Research Station property from the Agricultural Research Institute of Ontario (ARIO) for the purpose of operating Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show.
- The proposed sale to Glacier FarmMedia was announced in September 2020.